Tuesday, November 1, 2011

MIA Thanks To The Snow Storm

The View Out My Parents Front Window
           Sorry I've been MIA for a few days. I wanted to blog so bad but couldn't. Well I could have from my phone but didn't. So as you know I am visiting my parents back home in PA. Well we got stuck in that crazy snow storm on Saturday. We only got 6 inches, but ended up losing power. Apparently a tree fell on some wires during the snow storm because the snow was so wet and the trees hadn't lost their leaves yet. It made them very heavy. Trees were falling all over the place. You couldn't make it from point A to point B without finding one. My mom was at work at the hospital and called my cell phone asking why the house phone wasn't working. I laughed and told her the power went out around 2pm. The snow stopped coming down around 6pm. My mom came home and we had candles lit and flashlights in hand. It sucked not having heat or being able to flush the toilet. Little things we take for granted. Luckily my mom has a gas stove and we were able to make Mac & Cheese and boil water for all kinda of things. It warmed up the house a bit too. I was able to charge my phone the whole weekend with this battery thing my dad had. I had to use my car charger but worth it. I was able to email Matt and talk to him on FB chat. It was a life saver! Kept me sane for sure! I spent my days napping or reading a book. Time seemed to go by pretty fast.
          Yesterday, my mom had off and we decided since the power was still out to wake up and head to my grandparents house to shower, do laundry, warm up, fill up water jugs, and charge things. I decided I was gonna stay at their house and help out and stay warm and use my laptop to do school work. We heard rumors the power wasn't gonna be restored until sometime Friday. So we came over took showers, got warm, and hung out. I love visiting my grandparents cuz I don't get to do it often with living the military life. My grandpa was excited to have me stay there. He is currently having health issues. He was diagnosed last week with stage 4 colon cancer. He can't have surgery or chemotherapy because of a blood disease he has. So we have no idea how long he has left with us. He is in good spirits and jokes around alot. Which is great to hear. He is also legally blind so he hasn't been able to see us in a few years. When he was in the hospital he got to feel my belly. My mom grabbed his hand and goes feel this baby bump. LOL It was priceless!
      Anywho, So my mom and I get back from going to the grocery store for my grandma, my aunt Kimmy calls and tells us about whats going on with her knee and all that. My mom hears an incoming call and looks at the phone. She goes how is my home phone calling us if the power is out? She answers it and truth be told we have power and heat back on! My mom was screaming and was so excited! After 3 days of no heat or power we all were excited. Now I could have very well gone back with them and stayed at my parents but chose to stay at my grandparents to help out and visit my grandpa since he gets lonely with just my grandma. Hubby is back in port for a few days and it sucks we can't see each other unless you count Face Time. lol
         Now with my grandpa having stage 4 colon cancer and the fact they can't do anything about it. We wanted Matt to come home. Even though he's only in VA. So on Thursday my dad and I called the Red Cross to try and get him home so he can take emergency leave. Well that was last week. I called again on Sunday and they said when they called the hospital they talked to some on call Dr. who had no idea what he was talking about and said it was non-emergency. Which is bullshit! So we had to call the office yesterday morning of my grandpa's Dr. (who is also a surgeon at the hospital) to leave him a message about what we wanted to do. He has the case number and the Red Cross number. The lady who took our information was also a Navy brat so fully understood. Well I called the Red Cross back to see if he had called at 8pm. Well he still hadn't. Matt's ship knew what was going on and were just waiting for the message to come through to put Matt on emergency leave. Still no message has gone through. They are due to go back out to sea this weekend. So we don't have much time. If they don't get a message before they head out Matt is stuck on the ship for 10 more days. So hoping and praying that the Dr. calls sometime soon! Well that's basically an update on how I've been and what's been going on in my life.

-Corissa Marie <3

UPDATE (11:15am): The Red Cross just called me and the doctor called in and gave the informations they needed! And they asked if I still wanted to message sent out and I said YES!!!! So hopefully Matthew can get leave and leave tonight to come home to PA. If not tomorrow maybe. But his ship fully supports him in all this. Now were just waiting.

1 Comments:

Chelle said... [Reply]

We were supposed to head to PA to visit my husbands' grandparents. On Friday they told us not to come because of snow. They live near Reading, PA and they suspected they would be snowed in and didn't want us stuck here. I can sympathize with your grandpa having colon cancer. My hubs' grandpa had liver cancer, he just went through surgery to remove it. He is about to start chemo. I do want you to know though they may not consider his grandparent has family, my husband's ship did this. Even with the Red Cross they would not grant my husband leave because a grandparents is not considered immediately family. So I hope he gets leave but understand if he doesn't.